Five years ago I wrote about my first attempt to make Hungarian sour cherry soup. My recipe has evolved a little since then, so I thought it might be useful to record the current version.
- 400g Morello cherries
- 2 cloves
- ~1cm cinnamon stick
- 100ml red wine
- 200-300ml water
- 25g (or 30 ml) sugar
- 5 ml flour
- 100ml crème fraîche
- Stone the cherries, then simmer the stones in a little water for 10 minutes.
- Place the cherries in a saucepan with the cloves and cinnamon. Add the water from the stones, red wine and water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the flour and crème fraîche in a small bowl.
- Work the cherries through a sieve, removing the cloves and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix some of the cherries into the cream and flour to loosen it before mixing back into the soup. Whisk until smooth and free of lumps of cream. Return to the boil then simmer very gently for five minutes to thicken slightly.
- Stand the pan in cold water to cool the soup, then finish cooling in the fridge.